Sunday, June 3, 2012

Hey Queen Elizabeth! Thanks for inviting me to your party!

Happy Jubilee!!! Being here for this makes me feel ALMOST British. It’s the best. But I’ll get to that later first I gotta talk about other stuff I did!

So Friday a bunch of us went to Greenwich! (pronounced gren-itch) To get there we got to take a boat ride! I LOVED it. It started at Westminster Pier, which is right by Big Ben, Westminster Bridge, the London Eye, and such! And then we rode along the Thames to Greenwich! It was so cool to be able to start from one end of London and just ride along seeing the whole city. I loved being able to identify what everything was on both sides of me. It was cool to go underneath all of the bridges! And there are SO many bridges! And they’re all awesome. So when we got to Greenwich, we decided to first get something to eat. One of the girls I was with had heard of a cool restaurant she wanted to try. It was a double decker bus turned into a pizza place! The restaurant itself was creative and fun, however… getting there was interesting. We somehow ended up in what looked like the slums of Greenwich! Haha it was a funny experience. After that things didn’t get much better… We went to the Royal Observatory, which is actually really cool! And we saw the spot where all time is decided! (a.k.a prime meridian) Its not a new day till it’s a new day in Greenwich! So the reason it didn’t get much better after exploring the slums is cause, when I was straddling the prime meridian, I was taking a picture for my friend, and, I dropped her camera! Dropping leading to breaking. It was awful and I felt so bad the rest of the time! But she’s the best and quickly forgave me.

So yesterday was great! We started out by waking up early and hitting Portobello Road. It is soooooo fun! I could walk up and down that road for hours on end and not get bored! There are yummy crepe and waffle stands at every corner, and so many fun stores/stands to explore! We all found some good finds. After Portobello we went to the Tate Britain! I’ve been really excited to come here. The museum is under construction so not everything was available to see, and the layout was confusing. But it was still amazing!! Madeleine and I were completely thrilled to see “Carnation, Lily Lily Rose” by John Sargent because it is my Auntie Elizabeth’s favorite! And I fully understand why. It was incredible! I bought another post card. I also really enjoyed the Turner exhibits. He is brilliant and I was fascinated by his paintings!

So yesterday night was a real hit. We went and saw a show, but not just any show. A very unique show called STOMP! Ever heard of it? Well, youtube it or something. Because it was SWEET! If you don’t know what it is, well basically it’s just a group of people that create music with whatever they can find. They use garbage cans, brooms, buckets, rubber, water, tires, cups, matches, pots and pans, ropes, newspaper, and especially their hands and feet. You wouldn’t believe what they can do with these things! It was extremely impressive. I can’t imagine how tingly their hands and feet must have been, my hand gets tingly after one high-five! The end of the show was sort of interactive and they had us clap and stomp and snap with them and stuff. I think they had us do this so that we would feel stupid and realize how talented they really are. Ha! It was awesome! I was stomping and clapping and snapping all the way home.

Today everyone, was the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee! The Queen is commemorating 60 years as Queen, and so she’s havin a big HUGE celebration! It is absolutely crazy here right now! It’s like the 4th of July times ten, but BRITISH. Obviously. It is so cool how much these people LOVE their Queen! After church some friends and I rushed on over to Westminster bridge to see the 1,000 boats come along the Thames! There were ten million billion trillion people everywhere. It was MADNESS. But the best kind of madness! We could hardly see anything but it was fun just being there for it all. I managed to jump really high and see the Queens boat! She is one classy lady! And I sure hope her boat was heated, because well, I was freeeeeeezing. But it was all worth it! These Brits really know how to throw a party! 



The London Eye!
so excited to go on take a spin on this baby! 


On our boat ride! 
You betcha we went under Tower Bridge! 

No biggie, just eating pizza in a double-decker bus! 


Found this awesomness in Greenwich! 
Madeleine and I reminisced playing with our pirate ship as kids! 

Love me some Portobello 

the absolutely wonderful
Carnation, Lily, Lily, Rose

On Westminster Bridge celebrating the Jubilee! 
Happy 60 years Elizabeth, thanks for inviting me to your hoppin party!


I can't believe tomorrow is the beginning of my last full week in London. 
Well that's just not okay with me at all! Not one bit.
But i can assure you, London and I are going to spend one blissful last week together!  
Bring it on. 



2 comments:

  1. i broke a camera in london too...e must be related

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hardly believe all you have got to see. You have made me want to see it all. So fun that you got to be there for the Jubilee. Just saying it sounds happy. Enjoy your last week.

    ReplyDelete